International Criminal Prosecutor: What is happening in Gaza is disturbing

Yesterday, Wednesday, International Criminal Court Prosecutor Karim Khan expressed great concern about the images coming from the Gaza Strip, four months after the Israeli war on the Strip.

Khan said in an interview with Agence France-Presse that everyone should be very concerned about the images coming out of Gaza, and very concerned about the rule of law.

He commented on the progress of the investigation conducted by his office into war crimes committed in the Israeli war on Gaza, stating that the court has an “active investigation”.

Khan said the Criminal Court will take action when evidence reaches the appropriate level regarding the commission of war crimes (French)

collect evidence

“We are trying to gather evidence,” he said, “and when the evidence reaches the appropriate level we will take action, and that is a matter for the judges of the International Criminal Court to decide.”

Khan said he made several statements and took several steps regarding the Israeli war on Gaza.

“I was the first public prosecutor to go to Israel, to enter Ramallah, and I also went to the Rafah crossing,” he said.

The International Criminal Court, which was established in 2002, is the world's only independent court established to investigate the most serious crimes, including genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

In 2021, the court opened an investigation against Israel, the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) and other armed Palestinian factions on suspicion of possibly committing war crimes.

Khan previously indicated that the investigation has been expanded “to include the increase in hostilities and violence since the attacks on October 7, 2023.”

But ICC teams were unable to enter Gaza or investigate in Israel, which is not part of the court.

For its part, at the end of last January, the International Court of Justice asked Israel to stop carrying out any acts tantamount to “genocide” in Gaza, and also to allow humanitarian aid to reach the strip.

The Palestinian resistance launched Operation al-Aqsa Flood on cities and towns around the Gaza Strip on 7 October, resulting in hundreds of Israeli deaths in response to the occupation's incursions into Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Since then, Israeli forces have been waging a devastating war on Gaza with US support, which as of Wednesday had killed 27,708 and wounded 67,147, most of them children and women, according to Palestinian officials, and caused massive destruction and An unprecedented incident happened. Humanitarian disaster according to the United Nations.

Read Previous

A minefield for Netanyahu…Implications of Hamas' response to the proposed agreement

Read Next

Canadian Channel: Trudeau government cuts funding for UNRWA without evidence

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular