Guterres: The world is entering an “era of chaos” and the attack on Rafah will have serious consequences

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that the world is entering an “era of chaos”, pointing to the unprecedented division in the UN Security Council. He also warned of serious regional consequences of a possible Israeli attack on the crowded city of Rafah. Displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza Strip.

In a speech before the UN General Assembly on Wednesday, Guterres said, “This is not the first time that the Council has been divided, but this is the worst. The current imbalance is deeper and more dangerous,” and pointed out that the Security Council is continuing to ” Unable to act in the face of “terrible conflicts”.

Guterres said he was extremely concerned by reports that Israeli forces intend to focus on the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah in the next phase of its offensive on the strip.

He warned that any ground attack on Rafah – which lies on the border with Egypt and is filled with hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinians – would have “innumerable regional consequences”, adding that “such action would dramatically worsen the situation.” It is already a humanitarian nightmare, with incalculable regional consequences,” he said.

The Secretary-General of the United Nations reiterated his demand for an “immediate humanitarian ceasefire” and the release of all “hostages”.

security Council

Guterres' speech came during a UN Security Council meeting on Wednesday, which was held at the request of Algeria to consider the International Court of Justice ruling that called on Israel to stop any possible acts of “genocide” in the Gaza Strip. Had called for measures to be taken. ,

The Algerian Foreign Ministry announced in a statement early last week that the meeting was being held “with the aim of giving binding force to the decision of the International Court of Justice regarding the temporary measures imposed on the Israeli occupation.”

Israeli occupation forces intensified bombardment of the last two shelters for displaced people in the Gaza Strip and targeted Rafah in the south of the Strip and Deir al-Balah in its center, resulting in the martyrdom of hundreds of Palestinians and increasing fear. That Israel will expand the scope of its ground operations in two cities filled with displaced people.

Thousands of displaced people have arrived in Rafah since last week due to the intensified Israeli offensive on Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip.

The occupation forces had earlier declared Rafah a “safe zone” and ordered residents in the north to flee. The number of displaced people in the Egyptian border city exceeds 1,300,000, according to the United Nations.

Read Previous

The occupying forces intend to expand military service to increase reserve troops.

Read Next

Rashida Tlaib: My colleagues whisper to me that they hate Netanyahu and agree to provide him with weapons

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular