Netanyahu's government is considering a plan to return residents of the Gaza Strip

In an effort to restore life in Gaza Strip settlements, a special Israeli government team is scheduled to hold a meeting this evening to develop a plan to gradually repatriate residents of those settlements. The plan will be presented to the heads of the city councils of the strip towns.

Israeli media, citing an unnamed Israeli official, reported that the plan would begin by repatriating residents of towns 4 to 7 kilometers from the Gaza Strip's borders and residents of other towns whose homes were not demolished or damaged.

According to the plan, funding for hotel accommodation of residents of Gaza envelope settlements will be stopped until the end of next March and financial assistance will be given to encourage them to return.

high prices

Following the Al-Aqsa flood battle carried out by the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) on October 7, 2023, the Israeli government had decided to evacuate all 25 kibbutzim and settlements adjacent to the Gaza Strip.

According to the decision taken under emergency regulations, the area located at a distance of 0 to 7 kilometers from the Gaza Strip border was evacuated and the number of evacuated people reached 65 thousand people.

Thousands of residents of the Western Negev, Sderot and Ashkelon were also displaced on their own initiative and without instructions from the Home Front to do so, as the area adjacent to the enclave has a population of over 200,000.

According to the Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth, the cost for a family of six living in a hotel room reached approximately 45,000 shekels ($12,000) per month, while a family with two children would receive an allowance of 18,000 shekels ($4,800) per month. Had they not done so. Resident. In hotel.

government efforts

In an effort to return residents of covered settlements, Benjamin Netanyahu's government decided last month to provide financial grants to residents who agree to return, which it called adaptation grants (the value of which was not mentioned. ), while those who refuse to return will be able to continue to stay in hotels in central Israel.

It led the head of a settlement council in southern Israel to accuse the government of trying to bribe residents with financial grants in exchange for returning to settlements around Gaza, which are still subject to missile attacks from the Strip.

He said that the Israeli government was returning residents past October 6 (the current situation before the war) and abandoning their personal safety, noting that the government was unable to address the security threat, or a situation in the cities. Was unable to provide major security response. Area.

That prompted the Israeli army and Defense Ministry to announce the distribution of weapons and logistics warfare equipment to 70 cities around the Gaza Strip, Israeli Channel 12 reported.

It is expected that after the discussion with the government staff, Netanyahu and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich will approve the matter.

On the other hand, Raffi Milo, commander of the Israeli army's home front, acknowledged the existence of a deep crisis of trust with the residents of the Gaza envelope, stressing Israel's failure on 7 October. Milo said that the time would come to conduct an investigation, and without returning residents to their homes, there would be no victory.

Read Previous

Egypt, France call for ceasefire in Gaza

Read Next

Immediate changes that may indicate colon cancer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular