Israeli officials advise stopping smear campaign against UNRWA and Australia is studying the allegations

Israeli officials in the occupation army recommended the Chief of Staff stop a smear campaign against the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), while Australia said it would study allegations made by Israel against the agency. who recently warned that the people of Gaza are “dying before the world's eyes.”

Israeli Channel 12 said senior military officers have submitted a recommendation to Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi to halt the widespread smear campaign against UNRWA, at least for the time being.

He advised officials not to escalate the scope of distorting the agency at such a time, especially ahead of the planned discussion in the US Congress, as well as to decide on mechanisms to deal with UNRWA at the political level in Israel and to find alternatives to it.

He pointed out that the leaks about the agency that prompted countries to cut off its funding were not organized Israeli leaks. According to the channel, officials fear that the process of discrediting UNRWA before finding an alternative would have extremely negative consequences in the Gaza Strip.

Israel accused 12 employees of the agency of participating in Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) attacks on settlements around the Gaza Strip on October 7, 2023, leading 18 countries and the European Union to suspend funding. agency.

study the charges

In a related development, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said today, Sunday, that his government is investigating allegations that some UNRWA staff were involved in the October 7 attacks, after Australia halted its funding for the agency last month.

According to a transcript, Albanese told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation regarding the allegations, “We are looking at this matter with other like-minded countries such as Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. We want to resolve it.”

Albanese said that his government wants to ensure that the allegations are “thoroughly investigated” so that all funding is “for the purpose for which it was provided”, stressing that he does not want that “people are dying of hunger” in Gaza and “the only organization that can provide this aid there is UNRWA.

Late last month, Britain, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Finland joined the United States, Australia and Canada in halting funding for the relief agency, while the agency said it had launched investigations into several staff. And there have been cuts. It has connections with these people.

Death before the eyes of the world

For its part, UNRWA warned in a tweet on its account on the

The agency pointed to the hunger crisis and humanitarian tragedy that is worsening by the day in the Gaza Strip in the light of Israeli attacks and siege, and said, “An unprecedented catastrophe is unfolding before our eyes in Gaza,” noting that Emphasizing that “people are dying before the eyes of the world.”

The agency, whose biggest donors in 2022 were the United States, Germany and the European Union, has repeatedly confirmed that its capacity to provide humanitarian aid to Gaza's residents is on the verge of collapse.

Earlier, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in January described UNRWA as “the backbone of all humanitarian relief operations in Gaza” and called on all countries to “ensure the continuity of UNRWA's life-saving operations”.

Read Previous

US and UK launch 48 raids in northern Yemen and Houthis: We will continue to support Gaza

Read Next

Indifference and hatred… the danger of getting used to war in Gaza

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular