The occupation detained an elderly Gazan woman suffering from Alzheimer's as an “unlawful combatant”.

Haaretz said Israeli soldiers arrested an 82-year-old Palestinian woman suffering from Alzheimer's disease as an “unlawful combatant” and transferred her to Dimon prison in northern Israel, where she spent nearly two months before being released after an appeal. Lasted till.

Fahmiya al-Khalidi, 82, was arrested in early December at a school in Gaza, where she had taken refuge after fleeing her home due to bombing. The prison to which he was sent refused a request by a lawyer from the Israeli organization Practitioners for Human Rights to meet with him, and he was released two weeks early.

The newspaper reported that many details related to the imprisonment of al-Khalidi, who was born in 1942, are still unknown, as since her release she has not been able to explain what happened to her, but she had a full-time carer to monitor her health. Due to the situation and the fact that his children live abroad, he was arrested. The caregiver was not released with him.

According to the newspaper, al-Khalidi's daughter and her sons learned of their mother's arrest from neighbors, but they were unable to trace her whereabouts, as Israel has detained families of detainees since the beginning of the war on Gaza. Had refused to provide help. Human rights organizations have no information about the whereabouts of detainees from Gaza.

Human rights practitioners learned by chance that al-Khalidi was being held in Dimon prison, but lawyers from another organization, who were meeting with female prisoners from the West Bank, learned that an elderly prisoner from Gaza was Joe could not speak and moved with difficulty, so the lawyer informed the family and transferred al-Khalidi's personal information to Physicians for Human Rights. For human rights.

On December 27, Physicians for Human Rights lawyer Mona Abu al-Younis al-Khatib submitted a request to meet with an elderly woman from Gaza, but Dimon prison authorities responded to her by saying, “Female prisoners are prohibited from visiting Has gone.” By decision of the officer, meeting with a lawyer by February 21, 2024.

sudden release

The newspaper indicated that lawyer Tamir Blank had presented a medical report from June last year, in which he stated that al-Khalidi suffers from a host of medical problems and faces difficulty walking, in addition to his Also suffering from a host of medical problems. and suffering from Alzheimer's disease, and he made an appointment on January 21 to meet the elderly woman.

But al-Khalidi was released from Dimon prison on January 19, along with five other women who were considered “unlawful combatants”. Human rights practitioners learned that al-Khalidi had been released again coincidentally after a lawyer from another organization spoke to him. Went to jail and heard that he had been released. Six women, including al-Khalidi, were released from Gaza.

Various media reports provided some information about her conditions in prison, and one of the women released in Gaza said that al-Khalidi sometimes went to the prison clinic handcuffed, and that she was in a wheelchair. Another prisoner also said that al-Khalidi was not the only elderly and sick prisoner there…

Across the border on the Palestinian side, al-Khalidi was flown to a hospital in the city of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, where she lives. The hospital contacted a man with the same surname, and he immediately came to meet him, but it turned out that they were not relatives.

Naji Abbas, director of the prisoner division at Physicians for Human Rights, who was in regular contact with the Khalidi family and coordinated his organization's handling of their case, said his organization had received a similar response from others in their 80s and 90s. Reports were received who were arrested. by Israeli forces and whose families were not contacted.

In response to this article, the Israeli Prison Service said, “The prisoner was received into the Prison Service on December 10, 2023, and was detained for 30 days until his release, and during that period he was subject to the law. Was kept in custody accordingly.” However, witness accounts indicate that, to the contrary, according to the prison service, he was released on 19 January, more than 30 days after his arrival in prison.

The prison service did not respond to the newspaper's inquiries into whether al-Khalidi had undergone a doctor's examination, and whether the prison had decided on the basis of this examination that she was an unlawful combatant and did not allow her to see a lawyer. Should go. She also did not respond to an inquiry into whether prison officials found it strange to consider a woman who, in her case, is an illegal combatant.

Read Previous

Al-Rawbadeh's surprise return to Jordan national team training ahead of Asian Cup quarter-finals

Read Next

Israeli Army Radio: Philadelphia is close to reaching an understanding with Egypt regarding the Axis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular