Victoria Park in Hong Kong, which was held until 2019 overnight by candlelight in memory of the victims, is being closed by the city police on the eve of the 33rd anniversary of the repression in Tiananmen Square, China, that it will be closed
As early as Thursday, police warned residents not to try to take part in rallies, which would amount to a breach of Beijing’s 2020 national security law on the territory – so far semi-autonomous – to stifle any pro-democracy dissent.
In the past, Hong Kong was the only Chinese territory that tolerated the commemoration and tribute of the victims of June 4, 1989, when the Chinese government sent troops and tanks to violently suppress pro-democracy peaceful protesters. In mainland China the subject remains taboo, either in the media or in books.
Hong Kong police have announced that most of Victoria Park will be closed from tonight, Friday night, until Sunday morning.
The decision was made “to prevent any banned gathering that could harm national security, public order and endanger the transmission of the coronavirus,” a spokesman said.
The annual overnight stay had already been banned in 2020 and 2021 in the name of sanitary measures against Covid-19.
The main organizers of the memorial events kept a low profile this year, but police say they have seen calls on social media for rallies in or around the park.
The Hong Kong Alliance, the organizer of the overnight stay in Victoria Park, has been disbanded and its leaders are being prosecuted for “inciting overthrow”, which is a violation of national security.
Former Allied leader Li Chek-yang, who is in prison, said in a letter that he intended to fast on June 4, light a match and sing memorial songs in his cell.
“I believe that the people of Hong Kong will join me in celebrating June 4 with all sincerity, using their own means to express their commitment to democracy.”
In the neighboring city of Macau, former opposition lawmaker Au Kamsam said Democrats would not hold a Tiananmen overnight rally this year because of “the deteriorating political environment in Macau,” adding that a historic report was also to be canceled.
The former MP clarified that he will light a candle on June 4, an act that he will broadcast live on Facebook as a sign of persistence.
Source of RES EIA