According to the documents of Bangladesh Weaving Board, after partition in 1947, a number of Muslim Mohaj families came to Dhaka from Benares, India with technical skills in weaving sari weaving. They started making Katan Benarsi sari in different parts of Dhaka city especially in Malitola, Becharam Deuri, Maishundi, Lalmohan Street. In the 1950’s, he settled in Mohammadpur, Dhaka and later in Mirpur. Later, Benarsipalli was founded in sections 10, 11 and 12 of Mirpur by their hands. Later, Bihari Muslims and Bengalis also learned the technique of making Benarsi Katan sari from them. This makes the size of this village bigger.
In the two decades since its inception, the Benaresi saree trade has expanded considerably. But during the war of independence in 1971, the weavers suffered heavy losses. These weavers of Mirpur lived on government land beside the road. As a result, weavers were evicted to save khas land at different times. As a result, the number of weavers gradually decreased.